Hunts Paper Factory was originally built in 1902 and was extended 24 years later by Wallis Gilbert, the celebrated Art Deco architect behind the Hoover and Firestone buildings. The client therefore wanted to restore as much of the original fabric as the modern regulations would allow, and create a varied collection of light and airy, characterful apartments. Being great believers in community spirit, a welcoming design that encouraged the informal meeting of neighbours was important.
Tucked in the corner of a pretty tree-lined street in Fulham, the factory was sensitively restored and converted into 34 warehouse style apartments with industrial features. A gated archway entrance opens into a landscaped courtyard and two side courtyards. A scheme full of greenery and light created a secure space with a community feeling.
The owner was keen to use natural materials where possible such as brick and reclaimed parquet flooring to introduce warmth, and at the same time reflect the industrial heritage of the site. This was accentuated further by highlighting existing features such as structural beams and exposed pipework, but the overall aesthetic was softened by introducing quality contemporary furniture and finishes. A light neutral scheme dominates, punctured by details in industrial matt black. Copper and brass features offer warm accent colour against the pale neutrals and dark statement wall tiles. We used vintage and reclaimed feature lighting in places along with quality contemporary fittings to continue the industrial theme.
In the communal areas “wayfair” elements were used, such as bespoke floor tiles and signage made from cor-ten to distinguish between different blocks and floors. The show flats have simple, light, contemporary furniture with modern, German-style kitchens to complement the high ceilings and natural light.